If you want to speak Russian language, the first step is to learn the phonetic sounds of Russian vowels. Unlike many people think, it is relatively easy compared to other languages.
Russian language has 10 vowels which are divided in 'Hard vowels' and 'Soft vowels'.
|я||'ya' in yard|
|е||'ye' in yet|
|и||'ee' in meet|
|ё||'yau' in yawn|
|ю||Like the word 'you'|
- My cat died yesterday –> (English)
- Мой кот умер вчера –> (Russian)
- Moĭ kot umer vchera –> (Pronunciation)
|а||'a' in father|
|э||'e' in let|
|ы||a short 'i', 'i' in milk|
|о||'aw' in law|
|у||'oo' in food|
- My mother travels to China –> (English)
- Моя мать едет в Китай. –> (Russian)
- Moya matʹ yedet v Kitaĭ –> (Pronunciation)
In addition to the 10 vowels, there is a semivowel 'й':
|й||'y' as in Bay|
One of the most popular and comprehensive online Russian language courses is currently running a massive Halloween sale on their Russian course levels.
60% OFF - 4 DAYS ONLY
(they have gift certificates too)LEARN MORE